Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Funny Side

Let's face it.  If I wanted to, I could sit here and write each day on the woe's of daily life with RA and the strife that fibromyalsia can cause.  But, I don't want to.  Because that would not be a true picture of who I really am.  Sure, sometimes I can get lost in it all, but who wouldn't?  It friggin hurts.  I don't mind sitting here and letting my inner feelings flow through my fingertips to this computer screen.  It can be very therapeutic; and sometimes too heavy.  Even for me.  And I am the one going through it.  For the most part, I have a great sense of humour.  When I've lost that, send help.  Fast.

There is a funny side to rheumatoid arthritis (seriously, funny just happened now as my husband chuckled when I asked, "Do you think rheumatoid arthritis should be capitalized?  Because I don't.  I don't think it deserves it!"...that's a perfect me) & fibromyalsia.  Things happen to you, your mind and your body.  If you can't laugh about it, you will find yourself sinking into a deep depressive state.  I don't know about you, but I choose...funny!

The Funny Side of RA & Fibromyalsia

  • The way I tie my shoes:  When I look down at my feet, it reminds me of when I was pregnant.  My shoelaces are tied off to the side because I can't bend to my feet, so I have to bring my feet to my hands.  Anyway I can get them there!  Alright..so there is the belly fat factor too...but still, before my body started to attack it's own joints, I was able to tie straight on!

  • Fibro-fog:  This is real.  The theory is that your brain is so pre-occupied with the pain, that carrying on simple conversations or remembering details can be difficult.  I wander aimlessly about the house hoping that something will trigger my memory.  I used to get annoyed.  Now I forget to do that too.

  • The joy of stepping OVER objects on the floor:  Because it is simply too hard or painful to bend to pick them up.  Besides, the rest of my family does it... :0)

  • The Tin Man Walking.  Watch a person with arthritis get up from a chair.  It's slow at first and then as they start to move more, they pick up the pace.  And then, they slow a bit.  Their bodies need some oiling.  Just like the Tin Man in The Wizard of OZ.  Sometimes, I draw for the children's classic, The Little Engine That Could.  "I think I can, I think I can..."  as I move faster and faster (well, at least for me!).I also have trouble coming to an abrupt stop.  That is most painful on the old joints.

  • Hovering is no longer an option.  I HATE public restrooms.  I was once a professional hoverer.  Even after 3 knee surgeries. Now, if I were brave enough to attempt, my body rejects the whole idea of the hover and threatens to drop my area of no public contact onto or, heaven forbid, into the toilet.  It's not good.  I've had to overcome some unpleasant feelings and now I sit.  Honestly, I never overcame the unpleasant feelings.  Like everything else, I deal with it.  Yuck...
  • Listening to stupid comments.  One of my favorites; "Wait until you get to be my age and see what it feels like."  What I want to say is, "wish I knew what it was like to be in a healthy 36/37 year old body.  Without RA."  But I don't.  Ever.  In fact I often sit by in silence and listen to others aches and pains(which everyone is entitled to complain about.  I am speaking if the frequent offender who does nothing but complain...over a paper cut!).  They have little of no idea of mine and I most likely will never tell.  Don't get me wrong, there are a select few who really know.  It used to irritate me, now I just smile inside.  This is mine.  Because I am strong enough. 
  •  The Dropsies.  I drop things.  A lot.  The kids and I make jokes of it.
I have to laugh, I choose to laugh...as much as I can.  And when I can't...I seek support to get me back to laughter.  Even if for just a moment. It's a moment RA can't have!

1 comment:

  1. I soooo agree with you about laughter! Sometimes my family thinks I am nuts as I am laughing out loud at myself. And it is the ra self I am laughing at and how ridiculous sometimes things get with ra. I enjoyed your post and yes....I did laugh too!

    ReplyDelete