Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

RA Pain (Real Agonizing Pain)

I am fairly new on the RA front.  And whereas a lot of the time, I feel I don't have enough to speak on or about, I think when it comes to managing pain, I've got enough to go on.

Pain was the first indication that something was wrong(before diagnosis).  Ache was more like it.  A dull achy feeling all over that wouldn't rest or let me rest.  It was terribly obvious at night when I would try to sleep.  I was in a lot of pain.  After being told it could be Restless Leg Syndrome, among other things I disagreed with, my primary care doctor finally relented and prescribed Prednisone.  Relief was almost immediate.  I could sleep.  I could get out of bed and put my feet to the floor.  There was no more cane.  I was referred to a Rheumatologist. 

In my medicine cabinet was already an arsenal of pain relief.  Prior to all of this, I RARELY took any that were prescribed for me.  Not for knee surgery, gall bladder removal, tooth extraction, etc.  MAYBE, the first day, but after...nope.  RA, however, this was constant, relentless PAIN.  I have a family with small children.  We are active and I want to be present and involved.

My primary doctors has already given me 800mg of Motrin, but because if issues with my kidneys, I couldn't take that any more.  He then prescribed Vicodin.  I was terrified to take it because I heard that this is the stuff that moms get addicted to all the time.  How?  I am not sure.  Because, it knocks me out!  I started taking it maybe once a week at bedtime and promised myself I wouldn't take it any more that 2-3 times per week.  My husband told me that ten minutes after taking it, I would let out this sigh and that he could actually see my whole body drop in relaxation. I was really sleeping.  That little pill took the edge off enough so I could sleep.  That hadn't happened in over a year.  It was obvious that my body needed the rest.  So I began taking the pill every night.

When it was time for a refill (6 months after the original fill date!), I was so nervous to ask.  I was afraid the doctor was going to think I was an addict.  This time, I asked my rheumy to fill it.  He did.  And I have been taking it for the past few months, at bedtime.  At my last visit, he mentioned to me that I should try to skip some nights.  I wanted to take his head off and defend myself. 

I don't like taking all this crap.  We are all on some sort of cocktail to keep this disease at bay.  I went from taking a birth control pill (one pill!) at night, to...I am not even going to mention what I take in a day.  Trust me doc, I wouldn't take it if I didn't need it!  AND!  For the record, doc, I have taken it upon myself in the past to adjust my steroids, when needed.  I did that because you failed to recognize my desire to be with my family and FUNCTIONING  on a camping trip(s).  If I had a penny for every time in these past couple of years I have said to the doctors, "Do you have children??  Do you have any idea what this is like?"  Two did not (one until recently) and one did, but the memory of how taxing being a mommy/parent can be seemed to be lost.

I was stunned to hear that there are docs who do not discuss or offer pain relief.  STUNNED!  Really?  Everything that I read and hear talks of the pain of RA.  I am fortunate that I was given something(even though at first it wasn't for RA).  Lord knows, back then, I would have never asked.  Pain is present almost always. Even at that, I sometimes realize how much I block out, or try to.  It is evident in my short temper and difficulty speaking...and extreme fatigue (which is another topic that should be explored!).  I have yet to figure out what to do about daily pain.  

I have to admit, I am less than thrilled with my rheumatologist.  I often walk out feeling like I haven't been heard.  I know that sometimes, it is a wait and see.  Why should I have to remind him how long I have been waiting and seeing?  Why do I have to remind him that I have lost 2 precious years with my children?  Sure, I am here, but not down in the dirt, hiking through our woods with them.  They notice.  They know that mommy hurts.  Why should I be afraid to ask for more?  More relief?  For a documented painful disease?  Why should anybody?

No.  My pain is NOT under control. I am thankful for the ability to sleep.  But what I would really like is the ability to move through the day.  To kneel down and tend to my gardens and kiss a boo-boo.  To navigate the stairs to get the laundry done.  To clasp my own bra. Yes, Dr. ______, the inflammation is down.  Yes, my joints don't feel as squishy.  But I hurt.  What are we going to do about that?  What?  You want to try weaning me off the steroids, again?  Fine.  But what are we going to do about the pain?  And suddenly, I am at the receptionist desk making my next appointment, walking to the car and understanding that I am exactly where I was when I drove in this morning.  I realize this as I grip the steering wheel and my less swollen, no squishy joints scream at me.  I am in pain.  And there never seems to be a plan for pain. 

 

RA pain is real.  And so are the lives that we are living or not living.  Primary care doctors are generally not equipped to deal with the effects of RA, or don't want to.  It is confusing to be between two doctors, hoping that one will recognize and hear, really hear, what is happening.  What I would give to hear, just once, "lets get you comfortable".  And to know that there is real effort and concern behind it.  Not just when I am in your face.  While I would never wish this on anyone, I wouldn't mind if the docs spent just one day...in our shoes.

13 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    I'm so grateful to read this post because you put my own experiences and feelings into words so clearly.

    I'm also very sorry to read it because in order to say this so well, you have had to go through a very tough two years.

    Here's hoping we both find relief and docs who get it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,

    I too have recently been diagnosed with RA. I like you was experiencing horrible pain all over my body. At night I couldnt move without a lot of pain, I had trouble getting out of bed and when I did, I couldnt hardly walk to the bathroom! I am on a lot of medicine now(I have an Rheumy who beleives in helping the pain, thank goodness!) I hate being on all of this medicine, but it is giving me my life back. I have always had a pretty high pain tolerence but RA has kicked my butt!! I hope you find relief soon and a dr. who understands your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post brought tears to my eyes. When will ra become recognized as a chronic condition that needs consistent and constant pain treatment. I have had ra for 13 years and still no progress on this front. Why? This voice for pain management on ra needs to be heard loud and clear across this nation...in fact...across the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Rachel. I am so sorry you are going through this. My 9 year old told me recently that whenever she "wishes on anything. You know, like a star? Well I wish that you didn't have RA anymore." I am pretty functional but not like I was. I'm not the mom who ran the 2003 Oklahoma City Marathon anymore. I hope that you find a doctor who listens and ways to control and diminish the pain so you may once again be the mom you want to be. That said, you are an incredible mom as you are; simply a different one.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel,
    tears... i have a 2year old - i was diagnosed while pregnant. I hear you. I understand. I am lucky to have a good rheumy, but i too am constantly battling with the thought that if I take too many pain pills, then they may not work for me later. I am 34... just wanted to let you know you are not alone in this.
    Anneke

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh, there are too many people with RA and other chronic illnesses that have uncontrolled symptoms, pain being one of them.

    You're not alone in this. Which is unfortunate that it's so common.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I am fortunate enough to have a rheum doc who knows I am in pain, I, too, wish all rheums could walk in our shoes for a week or a month every so often. I wish they knew - really knew just how bad our pain and joint stiffness really are. There are "pregnancy vests" that help people understand some of the discomforts of pregnancy - why not an "arthritis suit" to help people understand some of the discomforts of RA? Just a thought - maybe all us RAWarrior fans could come up with something?
    Cheerio!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend has a better understanding after I did this:
      I filled a fuzzy mitten with prickly burrs
      I put glass shards on his hand
      I taped wood splinters to his knees

      Cherie in St Louis

      Delete
  8. Thank you - you are my hero! These are my experiences exactly! Best wishes to you and your family! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you...all of you. This has been a most therapeutic opportunity and I am so elated to have been a part of it. Sometimes, RA and all that comes with it, can be overwhelming...and isolating. While I have many that are genuine in their concern, I understand that it is hard for them to really know what living with chronic pain, with RA, can be like. It is nice to hear from all of you. Nice to not feel alone. Thank you so much for your comments and support. I wish you all...so much. ~Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachel - your post could have been about me! I had to finally give up on my Rheumy and my PC for effective pain relief and go to a pain management doctor. Perhaps that could help you. Let them know you want to REALLY be there for your kids without being so drugged you can't function. The meds I take have gotten a lot of WOW's out of people - but what else is there to do? I get relief. About the only thing I am grateful for is that I no longer have small children to worry about. My 18yo is demanding enough with all the Senior stuff to do already. Anyway - thank you for posting this. I pray you get some good relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was diagnosed with RA 14 years ago and had to retire on disability 2 years ago due to the pain and how much medication it took to keep me functioning. I guess you call it functioning I had to make a choice pain meds or driving, working or just going shopping. I feel like I'm in a catch 22. Pain or doing things that we would normally call living. Yes I too feel uneasy when it is time to refill those meds either its too early for the insurance, the government, or the doctor. Why can't I just feel okay that I am experiencing pain and would like consistent relief. I may be physically dependent but I'm not an addict there is a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I downloaded pictures onto one sheet of paper for my doctor...pictures that depicted my pain. A prickly burr for pain in my neck, shards of glass for my hand, wood splinters for my knees, rusty lead pipe for my arms. Will take to new rheumatologist tomorrow. Jeez, you gotta draw pictures for these people!

    Cherie
    St. Louis

    ReplyDelete