Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Strength in Challenge

7:44am. I got a solid 21 minutes in on the elliptical , plus some stretching. Now I am sitting here freshly showered and re hydrating before my first cup of coffee. I also weighed myself. 265.6. I am okay with that considering my efforts were less than desirable. I still lost.

You may be wondering what is up with 21 minutes. Well, it was the point where my knees started to ache more than I was comfortable with. I would have loved to get in 30 minutes in, but I know it is something I will have to strengthen my knees for and work up to. It shouldn't take long. I just need to allow more time. Something else about me: I have had three knee surgeries. Two of them took place before I was 17. The last one was in 1998. After that one, they told me that at the rate I was going, I would be looking at a knee replacement by the time I was 40. Just so we are clear, at 17, I weighed 116lbs. So weight wasn't the culprit at that point. Although I know that it greatly contributes now. I can't remember the name of what I was diagnosed with, but every so often they have to go in and clean out bone fragments.

For as long as I can remember, I have had knee pain. I can't sit in a position for too long before they start to ache. At night, while lying in bed, often they ache so badly I can't keep my legs still. Kneeling is a painful task and so is squatting. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that by merely watching someone run or jog, I hurt, bad. At one point, I was told that walking (for exercise) probably wasn't the best option for me. So we bought an elliptical machine. It was costly because I had to be sure that it was NO impact, as opposed to the LOW that surprisingly, many of them are. I realize that this is a machine many would be jealous to have in their possession and I need to make better use of it.

So, yes, I do have this issue that can make this weight loss endeavor a bit more difficult. It means that I may have to work a bit slower, more cautiously and a bit harder. I have to be more creative. I also have to remind myself that I am blessed. There are others out there who would give their last breath to walk on their own legs. Whether the loss or limits on their bodies was at birth or by some unfortunate accident or disease, it doesn't matter. Day in and day out, there are others like this that put me to shame with much less by doing so much more with what they have been handed. The inspirational stories are all around us. There are men, woman and children who overcome life's challenges with such strength and determination. I know I am more than capable of doing this also. And should expect nothing less of myself. I just have to remember while I am struggling to get through the last 10 minutes of a workout, there is someone out there struggling to just stand for 10 seconds. Hopefully, that individual will succeed with much effort. I will pray for them and find my strength in the respect I have for those struggling greater than I am in that moment. In turn, I'll respect myself a little more too. I hope that came across the way wanted it to. We all need to stop taking for granted what we have been given in life.

It is a week and one day after my first posting. I feel wonderful. Connected. Liberated. I feel like I have a least another week in me! I'd like to once again thank those of you for your comments and support. I love reading what you have to say and it's wonderful to know that I am not alone. Now you know you aren't alone either. That's more than I could ask for. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment